Copyright/licence notices

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Copyright/licence notices

Post by lgromanowski »

dhardy wrote: The licence blocks I've seen start roughly:

Code: Select all

/*
  OpenMW - The completely unofficial reimplementation of Morrowind
  Copyright (C) 2008-2010  Nicolay Korslund
  Email: < [email protected] >
  WWW: http://openmw.sourceforge.net/

This file (cpp_bsaarchive.h) is part of the OpenMW package.

What rules are we using now? Everyone adding their own copyright info, or ignoring it, or assigning to Nico still? Basically the only meaning of having a central copyright holder is that he could change the licence as far as I understand, yet I doubt that's going to happen...
sir_herrbatka wrote: We are using GPLv3. We are safe ;-)
dhardy wrote: Safe from what? Commercial exploitation?

Fine, I'll leave the copyright field out (contents of the file_finder directory don't so far have any info).
sir_herrbatka wrote:
Safe from what? Commercial exploitation?
If nico will show up and become "the dark side" we will have to do the same as nexuiz team did. Fork.

We can't remove/replace copyright holder without being it but we can do fork and rename (to freeMW or freewind/whatever). This would confuse publicity so let's just ignore it for now.
werdanith wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:
Safe from what? Commercial exploitation?
If nico will show up and become "the dark side" we will have to do the same as nexuiz team did. Fork.
If Nico became the "dark side" then his only options would be to completely close the source and release the project as freeware. Anyone attempting to do anything remotely commercial with the code would probably get them sued to Oblivion (possibly, even Skyrim) by Bethesda.

Bad puns aside though, this question does require a straightforward answer by the team, that would be the project's official stance on licensing.
Zini wrote: License is GPL 3+. We don't require copyright assignment. But existing copyright notices must stay, obviously.