TODO generator?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

TODO generator?

Post by lgromanowski »

Star-Demon wrote: Looking at the code ATM, noticing TODOs here and there.

Is there a way we can easily generate a list of all of them?
ap0 wrote: Maybe something like

Code: Select all

grep -R ./ "TODO"
sir_herrbatka wrote: star is using windows... (is he?).

Anyway to save stdout use

grep -R ./ "TODO">~/todo.txt
Star-Demon wrote: It doesn't work if I type it as you have it.

Trying a few things...
sir_herrbatka wrote: Write down how you are trying to use it:

grep -r "anything" ~/whatever

is greping all files in catalog ~/whatever in search of lines with 'anything'

[herr@localhost Public]$ grep "szkodliwy" szczur 
Nadmiar my?lenia czasami jest szkodliwy.
[herr@localhost Public]$ grep -r "szkodliwy" ~/Dropbox/Public
/home/herrbatka/Dropbox/Public/szczur:Nadmiar my?lenia czasami jest szkodliwy.
Star-Demon wrote: Well, it ends up making the file, but the command just hangs...

if I am currently in openmw...and do that command, it outputs a todo.txt in my users folder and the command doesn't ever resolve. I've let it sit, but it's just no-go. I've navigated to a gui folder with acutal files but that also didn't work.

There's probably something I'm overlooking. I played with it yesterday, but meh...

Another example of me "learning the 10000 ways that don't work." lol
ap0 wrote: play around with

man grep
werdanith wrote: This discussion makes no sense to me.
Nowhere have I seen that Star installed Linux, and windows has no grep command (according to Wikipedia there is a qgrep in some versions of Windows), so what is the point of all this dialogue?

Anyway, I ran this command

grep -R "TODO" ./* >~/Desktop/todo.txt

in the root folder of the source and I got this file.
http://pastebin.com/G3eUur8C
I tried to attach it, but the forum complains that .txt is not an acceptable attachment extension.

Oh, and I got the 2500th post. :D
ezzetabi wrote: STFW, I hardly believe there is still some windows user without most of this programs...

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
Star-Demon wrote:
ezzetabi wrote:STFW, I hardly believe there is still some windows user without most of this programs...

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
Why not? It makes perfect sense. I go to school to learn Computer Science- I'm too busy learning programming to be a SysAdmin and environment setup - that stuff is just left to techs.

Programmers coming out of programming can hardly take care of their computers sometimes. While I'm a certified tech, certainly there's some point where you get apprised of these things because there's so much abstraction involved in both tech work and programming there's no surprise I have no idea if I even have an entire GNU package of stuff or not.

This is the center reason why I make simple instructions for others. It's not insulting, it's simply consideration for this fact of life.

Heck, I made a simple commit yesterday and I had to learn VIM commands to enter a single sentence. Never heard of it.

However, in mySysGit, it seems to accept linux commands (I navigate using the same unix commands I use at school). grep functions, but obviously I'm not using it right to get the result I want.
Star-Demon wrote:
werdanith wrote:This discussion makes no sense to me.
Nowhere have I seen that Star installed Linux, and windows has no grep command (according to Wikipedia there is a qgrep in some versions of Windows), so what is the point of all this dialogue?

Anyway, I ran this command

grep -R "TODO" ./* >~/Desktop/todo.txt

in the root folder of the source and I got this file.
http://pastebin.com/G3eUur8C
I tried to attach it, but the forum complains that .txt is not an acceptable attachment extension.

Oh, and I got the 2500th post. :D
Thanks man. :D Grats, BTW. :P
werdanith wrote:
Star-Demon wrote:Thanks man. :D Grats, BTW. :P
Update: I retried that command with the -i flag that makes the search case insensitive and got a few more results:
http://pastebin.com/cj6L2HuM

This is the diff btw

77a78
> ./Docs/Doxyfile:# disable (NO) the todo list. This list is created by putting \todo
79a81
> ./Docs/DoxyfilePages:# disable (NO) the todo list. This list is created by putting \todo
81a84
> ./libs/mangle/Doxyfile:# disable (NO) the todo list. This list is created by putting \todo 
121a125
> ./old_d_version/terrain/generator.d: * @todo I don't think tex co-ords are right
Star-Demon wrote: Cool, I see some tasks I can take on. Maybe January I'll be able to get some bigger contributions in.
Zini wrote: But check with us first, please. I don't know how Nico handled his TODOs, but I usually only insert a TODO when the task can't be done yet because some other feature is missing. Also, some of the TODO might be outdated by now.
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:But check with us first, please. I don't know how Nico handled his TODOs, but I usually only insert a TODO when the task can't be done yet because some other feature is missing. Also, some of the TODO might be outdated by now.
No problem.
pogzy wrote: Eclipse trace TODO comments, for the ones that are using Eclipse...
Star-Demon wrote:
pogzy wrote:Eclipse trace TODO comments, for the ones that are using Eclipse...
I love that feature. Even though CDT is really awful compared to vanilla MSVC, eclipse's handiness for java is just great.

If only it had the kind of code generation features for C++. I can start new projects and make my Classes and gets/sets very easily in Eclipse.

Hands down, though - I've never gotten so much done as I have in C# using XNA.