Birthsigns

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Birthsigns

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote: I need some input on birthsign handling. I am not going to start to work on it right now, because there is a bit more groundwork to be covered first, but that shouldn't stop us from working out the details.

Among others birthsigns provide fortify effects for attributes (and probably skills too; didn't check). The question is how we should handle these. Normally a fortify effect would be a modification to the stat:

- the stat value would be displayed in green in the stats-window
- it would not affect the base value, i.e. if you have fortify strength +10 and your base strength is 90, you could still train your strength up to 100, which would result in a effective strength of 110 while the fortify effect applies.

I think the most natural solution would be to just go along with it. That would mean a character with the birthsign "The Steed" would have a permanent speed bonus of 25 points, which would allow him to train naturally to speed 125.
This would also be the solution, that needs the least work.

I don't have MW at hand right now, but from what I remember this is not how the original game is handling it (someone please correct me, if I am wrong). IIRC the birthsign fortify effects are a simply bonus applied once to the base value (like any other bonus from class or race).

Now I know that we should focus on the OpenMW 1.0 features instead of making improvements (gave a lecture about it today on the wiki), but the whole handling of fortify effects in MW is a bit messy anyway and we might be able to get away with changing it a bit without a mob of mod developers and users coming at us with raised fists.
Therefore I propose we go for the true fortify effect instead of a simple bonus at startup.

Thoughts?
Greendogo wrote: I think it would be fine either way. Later if someone presents a nice argument displaying the merits of the other way we can change it easily. Just go with whatever way you prefer and since you would know the code best, just change it later if someone bullies you into it :lol:

Also, could you guys make it simple to change the maximum allowed skill and attribute levels (as well as character levels in general)? This would prevent people interested in such a game system from needing to hack it themselves.
Zini wrote: I think we should introduce new GMSTs for skill and attribute caps (post 1.0). The level cap though is a result of the levelling mechanics and can't be adjusted separately.
Ivan wrote:
IIRC the birthsign fortify effects are a simply bonus applied once to the base value (like any other bonus from class or race).
Nope. In Morrowind birthsign is just a spell with special type ("Abilities" for sustained spells or "Powers" for once-per-day spells). This spells can have any possible effects including skill bonuses.
I think we should introduce new GMSTs for skill and attribute caps (post 1.0).
Just a thought: In MW we already have hundreds of GMSTs and it is quite difficult to find to which area of the game belongs a specific one. Would be nice to add some kind of grouping for them (at least for GMST added by OpenMW)
Zini wrote:
Nope. In Morrowind birthsign is just a spell with special type ("Abilities" for sustained spells or "Powers" for once-per-day spells). This spells can have any possible effects including skill bonuses.
You sure about that? I guess I could mix it up with Oblivion, where I last played a character with a birthsign that has a permanent attribute bonus and there it definitely was a flat increase at character creation.
Just a thought: In MW we already have hundreds of GMSTs and it is quite difficult to find to which area of the game belongs a specific one. Would be nice to add some kind of grouping for them (at least for GMST added by OpenMW)
That is a topic for the editor implementation. OpenMW itself would not benefit from any kind of grouping.
Ivan wrote: Yes. All birthsigns abilities are handled in CS as spells, stored in esm as spells. Look here:
http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Birthsigns
There is no +25 to attribute but spell-ability with Fortify Attribute effect +25
Star-Demon wrote: There are different spell-type categories. Just look in the CS.

Just subclass Abilities and racials as they are presented in the CS from Spellmaking.