Roadmap : Packaging the source

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Roadmap : Packaging the source

Post by lgromanowski »

ap0 wrote: What do you mean by "packaging the source" for linux ?
Just a simple tar.gz, with the source code, makefile, and readme ?
Zini wrote: No idea about the packaging. But Nico has done it already for the previous release, so you could just have a look at that.
ap0 wrote: I have looked into it.
It's a simple snapshot of the git repo.

Why there is source archive for GNU/Linux, and a binary package for Windows ?

I don't get it.

I think we should package a binary release, for windows, and Gnu/Linux : If someone want to take a look into the source code, he should check the git repo.
Zini wrote:
Why there is source archive for GNU/Linux, and a binary package for Windows ?
Because it can be quite a hassle to set everything up on Windows to compile OpenMW, while it is nearly trivial on Linux?

I have no objections against a binary Linux release, but at this stage I see it mostly as a waste of time. Obviously the situation will look completely different, once we have something that is actually usable (a.k.a. OpenMW 1.0). But then we will need to go all the way and provide a proper installation, which probably means creating a .deb.
ap0 wrote: I'm not sure that everyone here use debian/ubuntu.

But, yes, you're right : packaging the source + a makefile is the best solution for the moment.
raevol wrote:
Zini wrote:Obviously the situation will look completely different, once we have something that is actually usable (a.k.a. OpenMW 1.0).
I hope by that you mean by Beta. To get some real testing in, you need to distribute to your testers. And as "trivial" as compiling the source is, you're not going to get much in the way of testing unless there's packaged releases of a beta.

EDIT: This sounds way more hostile than I mean it! I'm not trying to be an ass, I promise, it's just reality.
Zini wrote: *shrug* Haven't given it any thought yet. We are still sufficiently far away from 1.0, that I don't care much about the details of release process at this point. We can sort that out when we are close to actually having something to release.
ap0 wrote: I'm not sure that "packaging the source" should be included in the Roadmap : it' should only be done when a Milestone is achieved, and it's really simple to do.