OpenMW 0.0.7.5 Win32 binary release

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

OpenMW 0.0.7.5 Win32 binary release

Post by lgromanowski »

pvdk wrote: Hey guys,

http://www.zshare.net/download/78026909f4ced32f/

Can someone test this binary release I compiled. I'm on a virtual machine and OpenMW crashes when I run it. Later git does not crash. The commit I compiled is:

http://github.com/korslund/openmw/commi ... d0b9d7ba21

I still have to write a short readme but if this version works on regular Win32 we have a release.

Greetings,
pvdk
Greendogo wrote: I can't get the file to download. Maybe try to upload it again or use a different upload service.
pvdk wrote:
Greendogo wrote:Maybe try to upload it again or use a different upload service.
Suggestions? :)
Sslaxx wrote:
pvdk wrote:
Greendogo wrote:Maybe try to upload it again or use a different upload service.
Suggestions? :)
Mediafire?
Sslaxx wrote: Downloaded it, and it works (under WINE).
athile wrote: Works on Windows 7.

...though I did have to use the "--data=" argument since i have the Steam install (the data directory in that case defaults to c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\morrowind\Data Files, not C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files).

Thanks.
Broken1334 wrote: Nice! Works on Windows XP.

How can I load different cell?
Zini wrote: Use the start command line option:

--start cellname
nicolay wrote: Great work pvdk! I've uploaded it to sf.net:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmw ... p/download
pvdk wrote: It still needs a readme for the different data directories and for explaining the command-line arguments :oops:
Greendogo wrote: Tried to run it on Vista and got this:

Code: Select all

ERROR:  boost::filesystem::basic_directory_iterator constructor: The system cannot find the path specified:  "C:\Program Files\Bethesda"
It should be "C:\program files\Bethesda Softworks\[maybe something else here]", so there may be a problem with finding Bethesda Softworks due to the spacing in the path (only affecting Vista?). That's just a guess.
Zini wrote: AFAIK OpenMW currently does not auto-detect the data directory. So this would be a location you specified on the command line? If it has spaces in it, you obviously have to put it into quotation marks.
Broken1334 wrote: Dwemer tileset looks wrong... :(

pvdk wrote:
Broken1334 wrote:Dwemer tileset looks wrong... :(
Yeah found that bug too, will see if it is right in latest Git. Also had some placement bugs with my debug cell.

Zini: The path is specified in openmw.cfg, I changed it from data=data to data=C:\Program Files\Beth...

Greendogo: You can try to run it with the --data C:\PathtoMW argument or try to edit openmw.cfg, maybe this works:

data="C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files"
Broken1334 wrote:
pvdk wrote:Also had some placement bugs with my debug cell.
And wrong placement of daedra statues in daedric shrines.
Zini wrote: Yes, that should do it. AFAIK quotation marks are mandatory if you have spaces, even in the cfg file.

Regarding the Dwemer tileset: Some models don't render at all (probably those with animations). No work has gone into fixing it yet.
Zini wrote: Hmmmm ... Seems this is indeed more than just missing models. I get the impression, that some of the models are rotated by 180 Degree around the (Morrowind) Z-axis. We will have to investigate that, but it doesn't have a high priority for me at the moment.
nicolay wrote: This is a known bug / problem that I also encountered in the D version, and one I haven't fully understood yet. For some reason, we are supposed to ignore the first transformation (the translation, rotation etc) of the ROOT node in the NIF files. If we do this (this isn't currently done), then most of the cells turn out fine. However, in some cases we ARE supposed to include the root transformation as well, and I don't understand when we should and when we shouldn't.

IIRC there aren't any flags in the NIF or anywhere else to guide us, but I may be wrong. In the beginning I thought the root transformation should included in exterior cells and excluded in interiors, but that didn't turn out to be right in all cases either. Maybe someone with more NIF modding experience can help us understand what's going on.
Greendogo wrote:
pvdk wrote:
Broken1334 wrote:Dwemer tileset looks wrong... :(
Greendogo: You can try to run it with the --data C:\PathtoMW argument or try to edit openmw.cfg, maybe this works:

data="C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files"
This change in the cfg file yields this error:

ERROR:  boost::filesystem::basic_directory_iterator constructor: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect:  "C:\Users\test\Downloads\openmw7.5\"C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files""
The first address is where I have the OpenMW files. The second is obviously where Morrowind was supposed to be installed. However, it isn't installed there! So I laughed and called myself stupid for missing the obvious, then I changed the directory in the cfg to data:=C:\Morrowind\Data Files (with no quotations!) and everything worked just dandy!

My only comment so far is that someone needs to implement the in-game console. I'm sure an out-of game console is nifty and great for linux users, maybe, I don't know. But alt-tabbing out of the program is a pain when I should just be able to push "~" and get a little window allowing me to do all kinds of nifty cell switching and other things.
GKalian wrote: Hello.
I cant load this version on WinXP. Tryed to use "The (easier) Binary Way" from wiki, but openmw.exe just asked me about rendering engine, make ogre.cfg and.. that's all.
What wrong, any help?
Zini wrote: Since none of our Windows people is active right now, I will try to help out. I have no clue about the Windows binary, but there are a few obvious things to try.

From your description it seems you are getting a crash. The first thing to check is the Ogre log (Ogre.log). Then you should try to run OpenMW from the console. It usually prints quite a bit of useful diagnostic messages.
Guest wrote: Well, adding some stuff, then suddenly:

00:29:08: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Compositor
00:29:08: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Font
00:29:08: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
00:29:08: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Mesh
00:29:08: Unregistering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
00:29:08: Uninstalling plugin: Cg Program Manager
00:29:08: Plugin successfully uninstalled
00:29:08: Unloading library .\Plugin_CgProgramManager
00:29:08: Uninstalling plugin: Octree & Terrain Scene Manager
00:29:08: Unloading library .\Plugin_OctreeSceneManager
00:29:08: Uninstalling plugin: ParticleFX
00:29:08: Unloading library .\Plugin_ParticleFX
00:29:08: Uninstalling plugin: GL RenderSystem
00:29:08: *** Stopping Win32GL Subsystem ***
00:29:08: Unloading library .\RenderSystem_GL
00:29:08: Uninstalling plugin: D3D9 RenderSystem
00:29:08: D3D9 : Shutting down cleanly.
00:29:08: D3D9 : Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem destroyed.
00:29:08: Unloading library .\RenderSystem_Direct3D9
00:29:08: Unregistering ResourceManager for type Material

But before it was:
00:29:08: Added resource location 'E:\Morrowind\Data Files\Connary's Bestiary OBCR v1.bsa' of type 'BSA' to resource group 'General'
00:29:08: Added resource location 'E:\Morrowind\Data Files\Connary's BSA v2.bsa' of type 'BSA' to resource group 'General'
00:29:08: Added resource location 'E:\Morrowind\Data Files\Connary.bsa' of type 'BSA' to resource group 'General'

And so on.

About console: can't see messages, too fast for me.
Zini wrote:
About console: can't see messages, too fast for me.
Then you are doing something wrong. Are you sure, that you are running OpenMW from a console (I think that thing is called DosBox or something on Windows) and not by double clicking on the executable file?

The Ogre.log looks like a normal shutdown. Nothing suspicious there. We really need the OpenMW diagnostics from the console.
GKalian wrote: Well.
Try to look at this using "pause"
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8088272/video_openmw.7z
Zini wrote: Sorry, but that is not going to work.
GKalian wrote: Consoe text:

Adding bsa E:/Morrowind/Data File/Better Clothes.bsa
<...>
Adding bsa E:/Morrowind/Data File/Darknut.bsa.
Error : BSA Error: Archive contains offsets outside itself
Archive E:\Morrowind\Data File\Darknut.bsa.
Zini wrote: Okay, that explains it. Apparently OpenMW can't handle E:/Morrowind/Data File/Darknut.bsa. Either this archive is corrupted or it is using a bsa-feature we don't know of. You could try to temporarily rename this file to stop OpenMW from picking it up (Darknut.bsa2 or something). Or you can move it to a different directory outside of Data File. That should "fix" the problem for now.

It would be interesting to know what mod this bsa is from. Do you happen to have a link?
I don't know enough about the bsa code to have a go at it, but maybe Nicolay would like to have a look at it later. If this works with original Morrowind, we will have to make the bsa error handling more tolerant.
GKalian wrote:
Okay, that explains it. Apparently OpenMW can't handle E:/Morrowind/Data File/Darknut.bsa. Either this archive is corrupted or it is using a bsa-feature we don't know of. You could try to temporarily rename this file to stop OpenMW from picking it up (Darknut.bsa2 or something). Or you can move it to a different directory outside of Data File. That should "fix" the problem for now.
Ok, renamed it and finally loaded MW.esm. But I cant open console, menu and other features. All I saw was just cave, looks like I play MW without collision.
It would be interesting to know what mod this bsa is from. Do you happen to have a link?
I don't know enough about the bsa code to have a go at it, but maybe Nicolay would like to have a look at it later. If this works with original Morrowind, we will have to make the bsa error handling more tolerant.
My own pack, Maybe I did something wrong, when I make it.
Zini wrote:
GKalian wrote:
Okay, that explains it. Apparently OpenMW can't handle E:/Morrowind/Data File/Darknut.bsa. Either this archive is corrupted or it is using a bsa-feature we don't know of. You could try to temporarily rename this file to stop OpenMW from picking it up (Darknut.bsa2 or something). Or you can move it to a different directory outside of Data File. That should "fix" the problem for now.
Ok, renamed it and finally loaded MW.esm. But I cant open console, menu and other features. All I saw was just cave, looks like I play MW without collision.
We don't have collision yet. The key-mapping is not final either. For now you can open the console by pressing F1 and the inventory by pressing i. But I think these features were added after the release. You would need to compile OpenMW yourself to get the console or other parts of the GUI. Or wait for the next release.
GKalian wrote:
My own pack, Maybe I did something wrong, when I make it.
Okay, that would explain it. I guess we don't have to do any fixing after all.
GKalian wrote:
We don't have collision yet. The key-mapping is not final either. For now you can open the console by pressing F1 and the inventory by pressing i. But I think these features were added after the release. You would need to compile OpenMW yourself to get the console or other parts of the GUI. Or wait for the next release.
Hm. And how can I compile it in WinXP ?
Also, thanks for helping.
Zini wrote:Okay, that would explain it. I guess we don't have to do any fixing after all.
Yes, another bsa are ok, no problem with them.
Zini wrote:
Hm. And how can I compile it in WinXP ?
There is a wiki page about compiling OpenMW, that has a section on Windows too: http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... ment_Setup

I am not sure what the current state on Windows is though. IIRC a few problems came up recently (MyGUI and iconv). I don't feel competent enough to advice you here, because I haven't touched Windows for software developing purpose for over a year.
But we have a few developers who work on Windows. They are not very active right now, but with a bit of luck, they will show up again soon.
GKalian wrote: Ok, I'll try, thanks for that.
Also, how can I change location? And when we can go in exteriors?
Zini wrote: With the binary release you can use the --start option from the command line (type

openmw --help

to get more help on command line options).

With the current version (from the git repository) you can use the coc instruction from the console to change to a different interior cell. Exterior cells are not implemented yet. Exteriors are rather complicated, so it will probably take a bit longer.