GUI

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

GUI

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote: 0.11.0 is almost done, we have a lot of GUI tasks on the roadmap for 0.12.0 and we also have some volunteers. I guess that by now everybody involved had at least a chance to look around and get a rough idea how to use MyGUI.
Now we should start to get things coordinated.

These are the tasks on the roadmap (with the easiest first and the hardest last).

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/79
http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/9
http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/89
http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/17

Unless all tasks are taken at the same time, I should be able to help with the non-GUI part of the tasks in a timely manner.

Do we have any takers?
jhooks1 wrote: I am volunteering for the inventory, container, and trade. I don't have any experience with MYGUI but I think I should be able to figure it out by looking at the stat window code we already have implemented.
Hircine wrote: Star and I are going to team up for some tasks, I was particularly hoping to do the Inventory/Container/Trade Interfaces.

Will wait until I see what he is wanting to do.
Star-Demon wrote:
Hircine wrote:Star and I are going to team up for some tasks, I was particularly hoping to do the Inventory/Container/Trade Interfaces.

Will wait until I see what he is wanting to do.
Tomorrow Morning - I'm getting extra large coffee. :)
Zini wrote: I had a talk with Peppe and he is still interested in doing the NPC dialogues. So far only limited available time has stopped him from doing it.
The NPC dialogue GUI is an important feature and and according to our planned development direction we will need it rather sooner than later. But I think it is still best to leave the task to Peppe; that is, unless suddenly someone with great MyGUI skills and a lot of time shows suddenly up, who can do it in a week or two.

That still leaves 3 tasks for you guys.
Star-Demon wrote: Examining and discussing now. :)
swick wrote: I'll take the first one if anyone gives me more detailed instructions ;)
Zini wrote: Huh? Where does all the interest for the GUI stuff suddenly come from? For months nothing was happening and now we barely have enough tasks.

Anyway, a bit later I will post a separate MessageBox GUI thread, that should be enough to get you started.
Hircine wrote:
Zini wrote:Huh? Where does all the interest for the GUI stuff suddenly come from? For months nothing was happening and now we barely have enough tasks.

Anyway, a bit later I will post a separate MessageBox GUI thread, that should be enough to get you started.
I just finished a term of Uni and have a good 5-6 weeks where i can work on OpenMW. :)
Star-Demon wrote: Hircine PM :)

Zini, I think we're going to try the other two still open. I need to confirm with Hircine.
Zini wrote: It's getting a bit confusing now. Who has what?

swick is taken the message boxes.
peppe is still interested in the NPC dialogues. While we need this feature in the near future, I say lets give him a bit more time, before we assign it to someone else.

That leaves us with two remaining tasks and three people? Are we good or do we need more tasks? I might be able to add one or two additional GUI tasks to the 0.12.0 roadmap, though it probably will not be something very exciting.
Star-Demon wrote: Well, Hircine and Myself - looking at the remaining two tasks (Invo and journal)

Who was the other person - did I miss them? :O
Zini wrote: jhooks?
jhooks1 wrote: I'll take whatever task is left. It doesn't have to be GUI related, I can work on anything.
Zini wrote: Okay. We still have a couple of open tasks. But I will add some more to the 0.12.0 roadmap to give people more choice. Pick whatever you like, once you are finished with cleaning up your current branch.
Star-Demon wrote: Put Hircine and I down for the journal.
Zini wrote: Okay. Postings about the journal implementation should go into a new thread ("Journal GUI" or something, so it will not be confused with the Journal backend implementation thread).

The journal consists of several parts (the linear main journal, the quest index, the topic index). I suggest you implement them one by one. Let me know if you have any problems accessing the data you need to display in the journal.
Zini wrote: @Star, Hircine: Since you are doing the journal, do you still want to do the inventory? The journal is a large task, which probably means it will take you quite a while. On the other hand we definitely need the inventory GUI in the near feature (making the tutorial playable and such).
If you are absolutely determined to do the inventory anyway, that's okay. But since we had a volunteer for the inventory (jhooks), would you agree to release your claim on the inventory task?
Star-Demon wrote: Invy is a big task that requires a lot of data moving around both ways, as well as proper handling so it functions correctly (avoiding dupes, etc). I definitely think it's more complicated than the journal, so would thought we'd do it later - but if we can get an early start by having Jhooks start it, then I have an idea so it gets done faster and better:

I think jhooks should get assigned to it now and spend time just designing and making what he can - and if we finish early we can join him on smaller tasks. I think this will be best if more than one person wanted to work on it. I also think it'll be done faster this way, since a solid and understandable design will be easily implemented without going back and fixing anything.
ObsidianBlk wrote: Seeing as I'm still getting my feet wet... would anyone object to my attempting books?

Also... and forgive me if I missed this discussion on the forums... How close are you attempting to replicate Morrowind behavior (in terms of GUIs)? For instance... if I do the book GUI and I (magically) design it so that it actually has turning pages (animation), for instance, is that a no-no, or can such liberties be taken?
Zini wrote: @ObsidianBlk: You can have the tasks. As for how closely we are matching MW, very closely. You should not put additional effort into adding or improving features, because we want to get 1.0.0 out as fast as possible. For now you should only do improvements over original MW, if they are not more work than re-implementing the original feature.
Zini wrote: @Star: Actually the inventory task is fairly simple, if (and that is a big if) we can get the layout and the drag and drop working in MyGUI.

For now we won't implement item equipping, using, dropping and trading. And no weight either yet. Just viewing the inventory (or any other container) and transferring between the inventory and a container). We probably need some minor improvements to the container storage, but I can help out with these.

@jhooks: Do you still want the task?
akebono wrote: Hello all.

I want to help with inventory gui.
jhooks1 wrote: I'll take the inventory task. Me and akebono could work together on it.
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:@Star: Actually the inventory task is fairly simple, if (and that is a big if) we can get the layout and the drag and drop working in MyGUI.
Everything is simple if enough assumptions are made!

huh. I wonder if there are any examples out there? We can't be the only myGUI project that needs a basic mouse behavior like drag and drop.

It shouldn't be a big deal, though. I'm sure someone with some familiarity with myGUI can do some homework on it and bang it out in a few hours.

if it were me, I'd make dummy icon objects, attach to items in inventory later. Hmmm...
Zini wrote: @jhooks, akebono: Okay. As usual, make a separate forum thread once you are ready starting to work on it.