Spam registration wave

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Zini

Spam registration wave

Post by Zini »

It looks like we have a new spam problem. I just noticed by accident that we had a couple of new users registered in a short period of time. I investigated and found users without posts, who link in their signature and/or profile to pages advertising insurances and other crap. Then I started to investigate our member list and found several more.

While this does not affect the forum directly, it probably helps those spammy bastards to get better search engine ratings and I would hate to do that.

I haven't taken any actions yet, but maybe we should just delete them (and monitor new registrations for this particular pattern). An IP ban might also worth considering (especially since a large number of them seem to come from the same source).
jvoisin

Re: Spam registration wave

Post by jvoisin »

Unfortunately, it seems that lgro is currently busy with real life at the moment.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Ok, all that spam-users are deleted and ip ranges used by them are banned (most of them was from Islamabad in Pakistan, Ukraine and Russia). I'm currently busy as ap0 mentioned but I'm visiting forums few times in a week, so if anybody notice some strange looking user with "insurance" link in signature please let me know.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Thanks.
Necrod

Re: Non-OpenMW news

Post by Necrod »

just thought I'd post some non-openmw news... WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!!1!111!one
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Necrod wrote:just thought I'd post some non-openmw news... WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!!1!111!one

?
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@shadow

He's talking about spambots posting in the forums.
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

ElderTroll wrote:@shadow

He's talking about spambots posting in the forums.
Ohhhhhh of course :P
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I nuked it all.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Necrod wrote:just thought I'd post some non-openmw news... WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!!1!111!one
If you, or anyone else notice any spam posts then please report them (there is a button with red exclamation mark near "quote" button) instead of writing useless posts!