Forum migration?

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Zini

Re: Forum migration?

Post by Zini »

IIRC we went for the questions option with the old forum and that worked well.
Husaco

Post by Husaco »

Zini wrote:We need to transfer the content of the old forum to this one. It contains important information (not to mention a good part of our project's history) and we can't rely on the old site staying up permanently.

Currently the plan is to do the forum migration last. Don't down how yet.
I'm no expert at these kinds of things (far from it), but I've heard that this converter works with no DB access, despite being a PITA to set up.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Husaco wrote:
Zini wrote:We need to transfer the content of the old forum to this one. It contains important information (not to mention a good part of our project's history) and we can't rely on the old site staying up permanently.

Currently the plan is to do the forum migration last. Don't down how yet.
I'm no expert at these kinds of things (far from it), but I've heard that this converter works with no DB access, despite being a PITA to set up.
Wow, thanks! This is what I need! :D
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

I've downloaded data from old forum, imported into local mysql database and converted into topic text files.
Some imported topics are already visible, but thats not all (its only a small part). I need to correct converter script because in downloaded data there are some strange bbcode and html tags (from crawler script), so all remaining topics will be inserted tomorrow and at the weekend.
Zini

Post by Zini »

It seems that people who have not posted yet on the forum can't PM. At least for established forum members we should make an exception. I looked through the admin panel. Is it enough to remove those users from the "Newly Registered" group?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Yes, I moved all users from "newly registered" group (and disabled this feature - it requires from users to write at least three posts to gain "normal user" rights).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks like at least one topic ("Go?") from Editor Development has ended up in the Development archive.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

You're right. I will move it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

You haven't posted any of the old forum material for quite a while. I guess it is a lot more work than you originally anticipated? At least it looks rather tiring.
If that is the case, we could drop the old "Off Topic" and "Discuss the Site" forum sections. "General" needs to be copied over though.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:You haven't posted any of the old forum material for quite a while. I guess it is a lot more work than you originally anticipated? At least it looks rather tiring.
If that is the case, we could drop the old "Off Topic" and "Discuss the Site" forum sections. "General" needs to be copied over though.
I just started to copy missing categories - "General" and other sections will be copied today :)