"Side-Quests" Sub-forum request

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Greendogo

"Side-Quests" Sub-forum request

Post by Greendogo »

Hey, so there's a possibility that we'll have some heavy discussion in the Off-Topic thread devoted to DaggerXL and that engine's source code release. It might benefit organization if there was another Sub-Forum for such things.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: "Side-Quests" Sub-forum request

Post by psi29a »

I wouldn't get our hopes up... let's see what happens first.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I think for the future, it would make sense to have something a little more specific than "Off-Topic" to put things like this into. Stuff that our community is working on, not OpenMW, but also not the usual temporary fare of Off Topic.

I mean, eventually we'll probably need a "Mods" section too. I think the discussions involving Multiplayer support, Android support and Raspberry Pi support haven't already garnered a call to open up the Mods sub-forum yet. They might get more involvement if we did...
magamo

Post by magamo »

Greendogo wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 03:20 I mean, eventually we'll probably need a "Mods" section too. I think the discussions involving Multiplayer support, Android support and Raspberry Pi support haven't already garnered a call to open up the Mods sub-forum yet. They might get more involvement if we did...
These three examples feel like they absolutely shouldn't get their own sub-forums for the reasons described, they are three forks that are intended to be mainlined into OpenMW itself in the future, right?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm wondering if couldn't re-purpose the TES3MP section for this purpose.

Once TES3MP merges back into OpenMW proper, then the sub-forum would vanish anyway (also be merged in). Could we just expand the context to be Bethesda related? Including forks of OpenMW for Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3/NV/4 etc... but also then smaller non-forks for Arena and Daggerfall?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I figure a general "Other" projects subforum would be a good thing to have here to keep the forums organized. We have become somewhat of a hub for these kinds of things as of late.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

There could be an “OpenMW Forks” forum that would serve this purpose for TES3MP, Android, and whatever else happens.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

psi29a wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 18:06 I'm wondering if couldn't re-purpose the TES3MP section for this purpose.

Once TES3MP merges back into OpenMW proper, then the sub-forum would vanish anyway (also be merged in). Could we just expand the context to be Bethesda related? Including forks of OpenMW for Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3/NV/4 etc... but also then smaller non-forks for Arena and Daggerfall?
Thunderforge wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 05:20 There could be an “OpenMW Forks” forum that would serve this purpose for TES3MP, Android, and whatever else happens.
I'm fine with having an OpenMW Forks & Associated Projects section that contains a TES3MP subforum as well as separate subforums for other notable projects, with perhaps an Other subforum at the end of the section as a catch-all for smaller projects.

I think TES3MP should continue to have at least one subforum dedicated to it even in the more distant future, seeing as it includes its own separate serverside scripting system that will probably have no bearing on singleplayer OpenMW even if it is ever merged back into OpenMW.

The only scenario where a separate subforum doesn't make sense is one where OpenMW is redesigned around a client-server model in the manner once suggested by Chris. OpenMW's current trajectory towards version 1.0 makes that unlikely to happen.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

"OpenMW Forks and Associated Projects" sounds good to me. The description could read something like "Introduce your own OpenMW forks, discuss your favourite OpenMW community projects, and provide us with news about other great open source engines".

But where to put that subforum? Above the "Off Topic" subforum in the "General" section?
Greendogo wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 03:20 I mean, eventually we'll probably need a "Mods" section too. I think the discussions involving Multiplayer support, Android support and Raspberry Pi support haven't already garnered a call to open up the Mods sub-forum yet. They might get more involvement if we did...
We currently have a "Content Development Section" subforum in the "General" section. But we should eventually make it a separate section in the future.