Replace github forks with github stars

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Replace github forks with github stars

Post by testman »

I think that would make more sense for site visitors.
raevol

Re: Replace github forks with github stars

Post by raevol »

Why?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I think he means "Fork me on GitHub" should be changed to "Like us on GitHub" or "<star> us on GitHub"
raevol

Post by raevol »

For sure, but again, why? Forking is what people do to start contributing. Starring really doesn't do much to my knowledge? Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk, I am just curious what the motivation is.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Staring is like giving kuddos or liking, it'll set you to following as well so you'll see updates.

That's just github's interface, we can't do anything about that. It's not ours.;)

However the question is very vague... no one quite sure knows what they mean and they haven't come back to clarify.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yeah, clarification is needed. My take is that he means that most people that visit OpenMW aren't here to contribute to the codebase, so why would they fork us? But the repo doesn't really "need" stars, it needs contributors :D
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I would be in favor of this. Stars indicate that people—including non-developers—appreciate the project, even if they aren't interested in or aren't able to contribute. Forking is something that only developers who have the time and ability to contribute the codebase would do.

Anybody who wants to contribute will make a fork regardless of if the metric says "Star on GitHub" or "Fork on GitHub". But for a casual fan who wants to show their appreciation, stars are a better metric.

I have never forked a GitHub project because the website asked me to. But I have starred a project because the website asked me to. And for non-developers, starring is much more reasonable to ask than forking (yes, they could make a meaningless fork to show their appreciation, but that's exactly what the purpose of stars is).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Not that I had ever noticed this button in the first place, but: Why not have both the "fork" and the "star" button?
Seems like a very minor change to me.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Hi,
stars button has been added below forks :)
raevol

Post by raevol »

The best compromise :D