GitHub repository for website?

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Thunderforge

GitHub repository for website?

Post by Thunderforge »

I was wondering if it might be possible to create a GitHub repository for the website contents. This would make it easier to facilitate changes, like the recent change to the multiplayer FAQ item, and make it easier for interested users to suggest improvements to the theme. Would this be a possibility?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: GitHub repository for website?

Post by lgromanowski »

Most of the content is placed in Wordpress database (except Team page - it's based on Authors file from Github, and it's a bit hackish), so I'm not sure how it should work with content placed on Github. Could you explain a little bit how this process should looks like (I mean synchronizing content between WP and Github)?
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

There are a few plugins, like WordPress <--> GitHub Sync. According to the documentation:
How it works

The sync action is based on two hooks:
  • A per-post sync fired in response to WordPress's save_post hook which pushes content to GitHub
  • A sync of all changed files triggered by GitHub's push webhook (outbound API call)
It also says that it can export existing posts as .md files in addition to the original HTML. So I think it would be possible to convert the existing site to GitHub with this plugin.

If the Authors.md file is currently synchronized, but it's a bit hackish, perhaps it would be worth testing just that page with this plugin in order to see if it would be feasible for the rest of the site?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

*bump* Any progress on that one?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 14:41 *bump* Any progress on that one?
Hi,
sorry, I didn't have time to test it.