Delete "Settings Section" pages on the wiki and point to ReadTheDocs

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Thunderforge

Delete "Settings Section" pages on the wiki and point to ReadTheDocs

Post by Thunderforge »

There are a number of pages on the Wiki about settings sections, such as "Cells Setting Section" and "Terrain Settings Section". They almost all contain a link to the Settings page, which clearly indicates that this documentation has been replaced by the documentation at Read the Docs.

These individual pages should be deleted on the wiki and any links to them should instead point to the relevant section on the Read the Docs website. That way, we have all the information in one place and don't risk things getting out of date.

Normal wiki users don't have the ability to delete pages, so this would require the help of someone who has that access.
Atahualpa

Re: Delete "Settings Section" pages on the wiki and point to ReadTheDocs

Post by Atahualpa »

<<< The deletion of the belowmentioned pages will render the links in several forum posts useless. As an alternative, I could simply delete all content from these pages and link to the appropriate part of our new documentation. >>>

I've gone through all wiki pages and updated the last remaining links (except for internal links between the various settings section pages). Moreover, I updated the link on our main page. We should be safe to delete the following pages now: The Settings page cannot be deleted until we adjusted the link in OpenMW's config files -- or we just leave that page forever.

There is also the Shadows Settings Section which is obsolete now. Shall we delete that page too? And what about this: Config file tweaks?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 14:37 I've gone through all wiki pages and updated the last remaining links (except for internal links between the various settings section pages).

As I said, welcome back.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I deleted all of the pages' contents and added links to the corresponding sections of our current settings documentation. That way, old forum references are still valid.
Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 14:37 The Settings page cannot be deleted until we adjusted the link in OpenMW's config files -- or we just leave that page forever.
No changes here; keep it forever.
Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 14:37 There is also the Shadows Settings Section which is obsolete now. Shall we delete that page too? And what about this: Config file tweaks?
For the former page, I added a warning regarding the currently disabled shadow feature. When the new shadow feature is ready and the documentation is updated, we should delete the old content and add a link. The latter page remains as is until someone creates a new list of OpenMW-exclusive features that are activated via the settings file.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

TODO: Update link in our openmw.cfg file to point to the readthedocs page.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

super! :D
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Atahualpa wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 15:24 TODO: Update link in our openmw.cfg file to point to the readthedocs page.
PR 1523 submitted - I presume you will be busy creating the 0.43 release video.

Loriel
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks, Loriel! :)