27-28 May: Forum update

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: 27-28 May: Forum update

Post by psi29a »

It can be the image header too, with the search box super imposed over it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The forum looks good, don't get rid of it in favor of proSilver.

proSilver looks really bland and like any one of a million open source project website forums.

Anyway, my report on it, lgromanowski, is that it looks good, but:
1) The "Quick links" button takes an extra click and is kind of annoying since I always want to go to one of those links. I'm not sure why they were collapsed into a button, but perhaps lay them out if you don't detect a mobile browser and collapse them if you do detect a mobile browse. I imagine the design change was made to facilitate mobile users or people with smaller screens, but my screen is only a 15 inch laptop and there is quite a bit of unused space, and now it takes me slightly longer to reach my destination.

2) On my 15" laptop the distribution of links is far too compact, and I think they could be enlarged a bit with more spacing between them. However the old forum laid out the "New Media .. #openMW" links is exactly how we should do it here (or close to it) since that spacing was pretty good, so maybe look at the html/css for that spot.

3) For the backgrounds on the board index, perhaps make the backgrounds of categories a darker brown or tan, so it's easier to distinguish them from the sub-forum categories.

Last, just a question, but what does the three-horizontal-bars button do at the top of posts? It just creates a circle for me, and then nothing. The circle goes away if I click the button again. I think it's supposed to be another menu button because it looks just like the quick links button, and the circle could easily just be an opened menu with no contents.

Anyway, it looks really really good, nice job! :D

Update:
I went ahead and figured out what I'd do to fix #2 and #3:
  • background styles in the "colours.css" at line 62 to 64 set to colors like = #b8a483
    The color of the "Topics Posts Last Post" text would probably look better if you darkened it for this change by changing the color of "li.header dt, li.header dd" to #48361d (around line 342).
  • Common.css around line 220, should be "padding: inherit;". This will space out the links in the menu under the "OpenMW" logo.
#1 Attempt: I looked into solving #1 from the first part of my post, however I found that the menu would actually conceal a lot that I don't often use. I know I ALWAYS go to the Active Topics link, and it would nice if we could find out what the most often clicked ones are between: Active Topics, New Topics, Unanswered Topics (or all three), and just display that or those all the time and keep everything else in the Quick Links menu.

ALSO, the "Topics Posts Last Post" text needs to be better vertically aligned with the title of the forum. So I'd suggest moving the "padding-top: 0.5em;" on line 127 of content.css (under "li.header dl.row-item dt .list-inner") to line 122 of content.css (modifying "li.header dl.row-item dt, li.header dl.row-item dd")
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Greendogo wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 07:04 The forum looks good, don't get rid of it in favor of proSilver.

proSilver looks really bland and like any one of a million open source project website forums.
No one is advocating that.

I know what it is to maintain custom themes, I admin two forums myself. ;)

I absolutely do not mind that forums look the same, it is a means of communication and considering that OpenMW's forum is used as its primary means of technical discussion, having a custom theme is a liability and yet another thing to maintain. The conversation is a tempest in a teacup however, so long as the two are available to choose from, that's fine by me. :)

Just don't remove proSilver, because there are people who prefer it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

psi29a wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 08:33 Just don't remove proSilver, because there are people who prefer it.
I absolutely agree on that point too. :D

Anyway, here's how my tweaks look on my screen. Changes the padding in the menu, the header colors and their text vertical alignment:
Spoiler: Show
Noticed when I decrease the horizontal size of my browser window, the "Search" bar gets occluded by the logo and becomes unusable as seen here:
Spoiler: Show
(that screenshot is without my tweaks to the menu's padding; didn't really know how to go about solving this issue)
Last edited by Greendogo on 06 Jun 2017, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Greendogo wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 08:39
psi29a wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 08:33 Just don't remove proSilver, because there are people who prefer it.
I absolutely agree on that point too. :D
proSilver will stay beacuse of phpbb updates (they are mostly painless when run on default theme/settings) :)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@lgromanowski: My previous posts had several tweaks to the OpenMW theme, just fyi.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Greendogo wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 23:25 @lgromanowski: My previous posts had several tweaks to the OpenMW theme, just fyi.
Yes, I saw it, thank you :) I'll try to integrate them this evening.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Chris wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 12:59 Since the update, code boxes seem broken in PaleMoon (Firefox fork). I noticed with this one that it displays as a single line with a horizontal scrollbar, , making it impossible to effectively read.
It's related to Highlight.js syntax highlighting which was added recently. Unfortunately I didn't find a solution for this bug yet, so highlighting will be disabled for some time.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

If anyone cares, I made small css style, that "fixes" few things with the new openmw theme.

1. makes links more visible (underlined like in old theme)
2. "unread post" icon is now red
3. wrapper and navbar are darker, like in old theme

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forum.openmw.org") {

/* Dark forum background */
  div#wrap{
    background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.298);
  }

/* Red colored "unread post" */
  i.icon-red{
    color: rgb(205, 55, 0);
  }

/* more visible links in posts */
  a.postlink{
    border-bottom-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);
    border-bottom-style: dotted;
    border-bottom-width: 1px;
  }

/* dark navbar */

div.navbar{
    background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65);
    color: rgb(204, 204, 204);
  }

.navbar li a{
    color: rgb(205, 55, 0);
  }

.navbar li a:hover{
    color: rgb(204, 204, 204);
  }

ul.navlinks{
    border-bottom-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65);
  }

.dropdown-contents{
    background-color: rgb(45, 42, 37);
  }

}
You can use something like Stylish on Firefox to use it.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I'm finding the pink highlight that appears when you edit a post to be very distracting, as you can see below.
Last Edited Highlight.PNG
Last Edited Highlight.PNG (5.83 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
Would it be possible to just turn off the pink color and make it be the same as the background? I don't think that a lot of attention needs to be drawn to the fact that a post was edited.