Mod Status page primary maintainer

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Ace (SWE)

Re: Mod Status page primary maintainer

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Perhaps we should create a Google forms page where people can submit mod results, then the mod status page could be easier to either automatically generate or update manually using the submitted data.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Can we just ask other sites that hosts mods (like Nexusmods) to add an OpenMW flag? Or something to indicate if it works with OpenMW or not?

Even a comment on the mod's thread or comment section would be good enough right?

Wouldn't that be better than having to do it ourselves?
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

The google form is actually a good idea
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

I have made a first version of google form.

HERE

The idea is to post that in many places and get as much answer as possible.

Then we will analyse the answer and be able to put somwhere a list of mods that work and that don't work as extensive as possible.

What do you think of my question?

How can I improve that?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Eh, cool. :)
But how are we supposed to differentiate between correct and incorrect statements? Who's evaluating the replies? (Just looking at the downsides.) If we'd really want to make sure that a certain mod is working we'd have to test it again, even if someone wrote that it works.

Apart from that, shifting the mod testing focus to the players could be advantageous - and save us some time. I'm only not sure whether this is the right way to do this.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

Yeah I thought of that problem of "false report".

If we have enough answer, we could hope to detect fakes by comparing answer from different people on the same mod. But it may be a little ambitious regarding the number of answers.

And it can be corrected afterwards. If someone is reporting bug with one mod that is in the "mods that work" list, and we check that this problem is real, then we could move this problematic mod in the "mods that don't work" list
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

If it really is a problem of "how" I could write a custom software to take care of it, but to be honest the old wiki solution wasn't that bad IMHO (it was even integrated with the forum login) and still it didn't get any traction. Are we sure that the problem is the platform and not the userbase?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

To be honest, I'd prefer to rather maintain the wiki page than to create yet another place to put information to. But we sure could use the google form to gather some input - and then update the wiki page. It's only a matter of man power and user feedback. (Well, we should spread the word...)

I planned to revise the mod status page; especially the table's layout needs some improvement. Alas, my time is very limited at the moment. :(

Regarding mod testing: Ideally, we would have a group of, let's say, 10 members who work on the mod list. Not full-time but every now and then. Even if a single member only tested 2 mods per week on average. we'd pile up 1000 mods in a year. That would be a good start.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

I also think that the wiki page is not a bad way to keep track of the information.

Bt currently this mod page is only giving informations about a really low number of mods

The goal of the google form is to gather information to get a new start to the wiki page. I think filling a google form ask for less work on the OpenMW user that modifying a wiki page and this may be a way to reach more people.

For mod testing Team : some mods are easy to test, but other, specially quests mods may ask some 10s of hours to get fully played through. Doing that in a week may not be possible for eveyone.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Cramal wrote:Bt currently this mod page is only giving informations about a really low number of mods
Agreed.
Cramal wrote:The goal of the google form is to gather information to get a new start to the wiki page. I think filling a google form ask for less work on the OpenMW user that modifying a wiki page and this may be a way to reach more people.
Agreed. Where do we want to advertise this? - Going through our Outreach list, a news post, some further reddit/facebook/twitter posts, mentioning it in the next release video...
Cramal wrote: For mod testing Team : some mods are easy to test, but other, specially quests mods may ask some 10s of hours to get fully played through. Doing that in a week may not be possible for eveyone.
This is why I wrote "on average". I also consider it essential to keep a balance between "time-consuming" mods and "simple" mods, so that we fill up our list with the latter (texture replacers, basic balancing, new houses, etc.) - at the risk of adding many relatively unknown mods - but also test a big one now and then. Maybe we could come up with a list of very important mods that need thorough testing.