Forum feature request - first new post link

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
AnyOldName3

Forum feature request - first new post link

Post by AnyOldName3 »

In other forums I've used, there's a button on each thread you've visited historically which will take you to the first post you haven't seen. It can save a lot of scrolling, and as I'm not 100% sure what the little red indicator means (maybe that there are new posts in the last 24h which I've not seen, but I'm not sure), there's already more scrolling than I'd like.
Cramal

Re: Forum feature request - first new post link

Post by Cramal »

This features exists already.

Just click on the little red indicator
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I always go here:
search.php?search_id=unreadposts

This will give you all the posts/threads that have been updated since you last logged in.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Cramal wrote:This features exists already.

Just click on the little red indicator
At least for me, it'll take me to a post I haven't seen, but it'll rarely be the oldest post I haven't seen. I'm still trying to figure out what it actually does, as it seems really inconsistent.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Well I've found a different button, and that one actually seems to work.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Right, so that button doesn't actually seem to work - it's still taking me to a newer post than the one I need it to, in one case linking to a post which had posts with the little red icon above it. The search for unread posts link at least seems to show all posts with a little red icon, but that's still not always an exhaustive set of every post I've not read.
AshSlave

Post by AshSlave »

Button in the search for unread posts always links to the latest post. It's a bit strange for me, since when I manually navigate to the topic with unread messages the same button (two blank pages with red arrow) links to the first unread. Why is it different?

I can reproduce the right behaviour simply by appending &view=unread#unread to the topic's address, which is easy to do in my browser, but I would still prefer that button to do it for me.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Totally agree. I've been to other similar forums that looks more or less the same in other ways, except that you can click a button which takes you to the first unread post in a thread.

Here, if I've been away for a while, a thread can have several pages of new posts. An example:

A thread has new posts. The thread has 5 pages. I click on the 5th page. All posts on the 5th page are new, with the red paper icon telling me this. I go back to page 4 to check if there are unread posts there too, but I can no longer see if they are unread or not since all posts are now marked as read.

...which is sometimes kinda annoying. :)