Website slowdowns

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: Website slowdowns

Post by lgromanowski »

Hmm, there're still some problems with redmine and slowdowns could appear :\
I've enabled additional logging (it'll be enabled till next weekend) an I hope it catch in what part of redmine there is an issue.

// EDIT: Known issue: ATOM feed from project activities in redmine is broken at this moment
// EDIT2: ATOM feed is fixed.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Ok, I got information from MyDevil admins - there are problems with server hardrive - current forums/blog/bugtracker performance problems are mostly caused by this. HDD will be switched to the working one soon (it'll be done without reboot).
raevol

Post by raevol »

Huh... a little scary that one drive failing on the server causes slowdowns? Don't they have things in raid?

But I'm not an expert. :geek: Thanks for the update!
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

raevol wrote:Huh... a little scary that one drive failing on the server causes slowdowns? Don't they have things in raid?

But I'm not an expert. :geek: Thanks for the update!
Computers are not capable of intelligent heuristic analysis. It doesn't go, "Oh, this drive is being a bit slow at responding, we'll stop using it." When a drive fails on a RAID set up, the RAID does not indemnify against performance. It protects you (to a certain degree) from data loss.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Computers are not capable of intelligent heuristic analysis.
Not true, going up the stack you can create a system that does just that.

Say for instance you are writing out data across disks like you would with raid, parity bits and all. You put a guaranteed of performance in place and disable disks that do not meet the threshold. Your hot-spares are activated and missing data filled back in automatically. (Yes, I've seen this in production.)