Display minimum OS version for pre-built binaries?

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
SamuraiCrow

Display minimum OS version for pre-built binaries?

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Hello,

I just downloaded the latest pre-built binary for MacOSX. I'm running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and the game crashes when it tries to read my Morrowind CD. I assume the pre-built binary requires Lion or newer. (I have XCode 4 installed so I can attempt a Snow Leopard build if necessary if you are interested in supporting such an old system.)

Nonetheless, if you'd list the minimum requirements on the webpage, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: Display minimum OS version for pre-built binaries?

Post by lgromanowski »

SamuraiCrow wrote:Hello,

I just downloaded the latest pre-built binary for MacOSX. I'm running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and the game crashes when it tries to read my Morrowind CD. I assume the pre-built binary requires Lion or newer. (I have XCode 4 installed so I can attempt a Snow Leopard build if necessary if you are interested in supporting such an old system.)

Nonetheless, if you'd list the minimum requirements on the webpage, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
About crashing on OSX, and minimum OS requirements you should talk with corristo, he is our OSX maintainer.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

After talking to Corristo, I discovered that MacOSX 10.7 is required for Ogre3D version 1.9 thus I can't run OpenMW.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

SamuraiCrow wrote:After talking to Corristo, I discovered that MacOSX 10.7 is required for Ogre3D version 1.9 thus I can't run OpenMW.
Something for the FAQ for requirements.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Now that OpenMW is using OpenSceneGraph instead of Ogre3D, is there hope I can run it on my Snow Leopard machine?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Only if it is 1) buildable on OSX with release binaries and 2) your video card supports OpenGL 3.0 bare minimal. :)
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

psi29a wrote:2) your video card supports OpenGL 3.0 bare minimal.
Wasn't one of the reasons for switching from Ogre to OSG that Ogre 2.0 dropped support for OpenGL < 3.0?
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

K0kt409P wrote:
psi29a wrote:2) your video card supports OpenGL 3.0 bare minimal.
Wasn't one of the reasons for switching from Ogre to OSG that Ogre 2.0 dropped support for OpenGL < 3.0?
Yes it was. I just read the thread that was posted on the subject.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It really depends on how Scrawl wants to go about it, but the moment that we want to take advantage of any features of OpenGL > 2.0, then you'll need a video card to support it.

I think it was a _very_ weak reason to switch to OSG away from Ogre3D to be honest.
OpenGL3 requirement: The Ogre3D 2.1 branch has dropped support for OpenGL2 hardware. Even though OpenMW was never meant to run on hardware that originally ran Morrowind, we concluded that it is still too early to drop OpenGL2 support, as it would affect a significant portion of our users.
"too early", translation: it will happen
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I asked scrawl specifically about what his thoughts were on OpenGL support.
scrawl wrote: depending on what I come up with for terrain, it's either opengl 1 with a reasonable set of extensions, or opengl 2 if I end up relying on shaders

opengl 3 won't be used until post-1.0, and even then would be for optional features

nothing much is changing about the requirements
So it is seems to be a win there.