English news poll

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.

English news poll

Poll ended at 26 Feb 2014, 09:04

keep it as-is
43%
keep it as-is, without memes
16%
sanitize it (SH writes it, native edits it)
38%
someone else write it
3%

Total votes: 37

WeirdSexy

Re: English news poll

Post by WeirdSexy »

A poll seems silly for this. This was 100% Sir_Herrbatka's choice. Anyway, it seems the situation will now be: Sir_Herrbatka writes news in Polish -> lgromanowski translates them to English -> people clean them up if needed -> Translators for other languages do their thing.

I'm totally on board for English proofreading, we just need to establish some workflow for that.

Sir_Herrbatka: Thank you for your past (and continued) contributions to this project and community.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

WeirdSexy wrote:A poll seems silly for this. This was 100% Sir_Herrbatka's choice.
He more or less said "fuck it" and was almost done with the WHOLE thing... the poll help raise his spirits as bit, to indicate that there are indeed people who liked it the way it was. I managed to talk him into doing the Polish bit and have someone else translate it after the poll was created.

After doing it for 5 years... I can understand his reaction.

I'm glad it is solved however.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

sirherrbatka did a fantastic job of surmising the weekly news content and making it easily readable and amusing at the same time. Sure perhaps the memes were a little too much, adding a undertone of immaturity to the project, but the content of the posts would show that the project is serious enough as is. So I'm sorry that he's quitting.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

He's not quitting, he just won't do the translations to English anymore.

All this commotion really isn't needed, SH's posts are read and liked by a lot of people (probably more than we would estimate). It's good that we have a conversation about it, and I agree to the fact that we need more proofreading. As to the discussion to the use of memes and other personal elements of humor, it's just not our choice. The one that takes the responsibility to write the blog, chooses whatever kind of humor fits him. Seriously, I'm not a fan of memes myself, but if Sirherrbatka uses them, it's his damn right.
nnayo

Post by nnayo »

keep things as they are
if they are typos, then PM with the corrections, the news will be edited and that's ok!
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

I had enjoyed the weekly news posts as they are/were, including the memes. Not sure if my spelling/grammar would be much better, anyhow, and I consider myself as a native English speaker. I see enough formalities at work so I don't need any more of that while I'm on OpenMW.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Aw, I always liked the way he did, I especially got a laugh out of a real cock-up of a miswording he did that he was very happy to have me point out to him before hardly anyone saw it. haha (he knows what this is)
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

Hey Igro, if I may be so bold - can I "native-speaker-ize" the most recent news post?
So, dear reader, for the first time (or once again if you’re long-time lurker) you visited OpenMW blog to find out what’s going on in the project and to check if we didn’t craftily released version 1.0.0 in your absence. First of all, I can tell you that nothing like this has happened. More detailed information can be found later in the text – people interested don’t need to be encouraged, and others already left the page, so let’s cut to the chase.

Scrawl, one of the main developers, managed to complete work on the area magic effects, and has introduced a number of significant general improvements as well. It’s worth noting the change in NPC’s navigation: NPC’s will no longer change direction instantly, instead turning their bodies gradually in accordance with the laws of physics. Gus also contributed to achieve this effect.

Zini has just returned to work on the game saving feature – the new thing is the ability of saving changes of the containers content.

Graffy continues to work on the content file selector window for OpenCS and OpenMW launcher. Currently selector’s model is ready, and few elements in a selector’s view were improved.

Records cloning in OpenCS works as expected.

In my opinion, we are making significant progress.

And that’s all folks!
Welcome back to the weekly OpenMW development blog! If you're checking to see if we secretly released version 1.0.0 in the past week, rest assured it has not happened yet. But work is still progressing nicely, so let's cut to the chase:

Scrawl, one of the main developers, managed to complete work on the area magic effects, and has introduced a number of significant general improvements as well. It’s worth noting the change in NPC’s navigation: NPC’s will no longer change direction instantly, instead turning their bodies gradually in accordance with the laws of physics. Gus also contributed to achieve this effect.

Zini has just returned to work on the game saving feature – the new feature is the ability to save changes in the container's content. [I don't know what is trying to be said here, so my grammar may be wrong]

Graffy continues to work on the content file selector window in the OpenCS and OpenMW launcher. Currently, selector’s model is ready, and a few elements in a selector’s view were improved.

Records cloning in OpenCS works as expected.

In my opinion, we are making significant progress.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

[quote="maqifrnswa"]Hey Igro, if I may be so bold - can I "native-speaker-ize" the most recent news post?

Hi,
thanks, but it was "native-speaker-ized" already by WeirdSexy :)