News has many many many typos

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
MortimerMcMire

News has many many many typos

Post by MortimerMcMire »

For a site wanting to attract developers, testers, and users alike, the news posts sure do have a lot of typos. I don't want to sound rude but could a native English speaker go over sir_herrbatka's posts before he makes them? Just in the most recent (2014-1-21) post alone:

"0.28.0 was increadible hit on the internet."
That's the first sentence.

"At the very moment view count of views on the commentery video approaches 15 000 - excelent for a such small period of time."
Already we have gems like "increadible", "commentery", and "excelent", as well as missing and misplaced words all over the place.

And maybe remove memes to look more professional? I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but to a lot of people they're just not funny, and in this post in particular make little to no sense.

Remember: This is the front page of your website. 90% of your traffic sees this FIRST.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: News has many many many typos

Post by psi29a »

MortimerMcMire wrote:And maybe remove memes to look more professional? I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but to a lot of people they're just not funny, and in this post in particular make little to no sense.

More professional? Were we professional to begin with? Shit... when was the last time someone here got paid?

:lol:

To be fair though, at some point in the future... we'll need someone to handle the English updates as well as we do the other languages (which are all Natives anyway).

Are you volunteering?
Last edited by psi29a on 26 Jan 2014, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

MortimerMcMire is right though. You look like a bunch of children who like posting LE EPIC MAYMAYS because it's somehow funny or something. Once is understandable as a sort of nod towards the rest of the Internet ('Hey, we can be cool too!'), but doing so repeatedly reflects extremely poorly on the project and the team.

As for the English in the posts itself, the newswriter is not a native English speaker, so can't really blame him there. I'd love to give it a once-over every week, though, but it's all up to him to take me up on that offer.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I am very neutral about memes (I think that is because i don't understand most of them) but I've always liked sir_herrbatka's 'not so serious but informative' news updates. I agree that proofreading the news before putting it online would be best for the typos.

@herrbatka: It may be the easiest to post your news updates on the private forums for us to see before putting them online. I'm sure there will be a lot of feedback in no time.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zedd wrote:@herrbatka: It may be the easiest to post your news updates on the private forums for us to see before putting them online. I'm sure there will be a lot of feedback in no time.
More or less what raevol does with his releases...

hopefully the weeklies won't take longer than a week to proof-read. ;)
Last edited by psi29a on 26 Jan 2014, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Typos, sure, they should probably be fixed.
Getting rid of the jokes? no...
Why would we want to be a bunch of dry shites
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Zedd wrote:I am very neutral about memes (I think that is because i don't understand most of them)
That's because the vast majority of them aren't actually funny. The whole joke is 'hey, I know this picture and you know this picture, aren't we the best?'.
wheybags wrote:Typos, sure, they should probably be fixed.
Getting rid of the jokes? no...
Why would we want to be a bunch of dry shites
Not posting [le] epic maymays that makes everyone look like manchildren is not the same as getting rid of the jokes.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Have to agree, this has gotten out of hand. The last picture has no relevance to openmw whatsoever.
Remember: This is the front page of your website. 90% of your traffic sees this FIRST.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Well I don't want to write those news anymore, anyway. Who wants to take over?
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

I'd do it, but although I frequent the forums a lot, you seem to know a lot more about what's going on compared to what I know. I guess that's because you reside more on the IRC channel, or am i wrong?
Last edited by Zedd on 26 Jan 2014, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.