Web Site Requiring Cookies - GLITCHED, I hope.

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
abcd_z

Web Site Requiring Cookies - GLITCHED, I hope.

Post by abcd_z »

When I pull up openmw.org, the following text pops up:
In order for this site to work properly, and in order to evaluate and improve the site we need to store small files (called cookies) on your computer.
Over 90% of all websites do this, however, since the 25th of May 2011 we are required by EU regulations to obtain your consent first. What do you say?
Every time I click "deny", the popup just repeats. I have to click "That's fine!" to actually view the site.

What's the point of giving me the option to deny cookies if you WON'T LET ME ACCESS THE WEBSITE WITHOUT COOKIES?

Is that really the sort of experience you want users to have? A feeling of being strong-armed into accepting personal tracking information?
Because quite frankly, it feels like a slap in the face.
Tarius

Re: Web Site Requiring Cookies - GLITCHED, I hope.

Post by Tarius »

Thats obviously a glitch, the pop-up though is not. The pop-up has to be there because of UK law or something.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Actually it's related to new telecommunication law in European Union (If I remember correctly, from 2011, but till Feb/Mar 2013 site admins had time to implement it, so I didn't care about it earlier). You will see this pop-up every time until you press "That's fine!".
abcd_z

Post by abcd_z »

Then why even have the option "deny"? It's worse than if the site had just said "we're using cookies". It *looks* like it's giving you an option, but it's not. It's really not. And that's very frustrating.

It boils down to "it's our way or the highway" if you feel strongly about the cookies issue, as I do.

And for every one person who feels strongly enough about it to voice an opinion, there have to be ten times as many people who will just click away from the site without saying anything about it.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

aaah, settle down.
It's not supposed to do that,

lgro, the problem is the dialogue does not go away when pressing "deny", it just keeps popping back. Supposedly you can store a cookie which remembers the choice (as well as others such as logins):
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/coo ... iance/faq/
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Ok, settings of this plug-in has been changed - if someone will press "deny", then pop-up will not appear again, instead of it there will be small, semi-transparent frame with information at the bottom of page.