Java Script Hack?

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Greendogo

Java Script Hack?

Post by Greendogo »

I got this weird pop-up java script window on the main page I've never seen before that said:
In order for this site to work properly, and in order to evaluate and improve the site we need to store small files (called cookies) on your computer.
Over 90% of all websites do this, however, since the 25th of May 2011 we are required by EU regulations to obtain your consent first. What do you say?
With the buttons: [Deny][That's Fine!]

It only went away when I blocked Javascript on the home page and reloaded.

Here's a picture:
sirherrbatka

Re: Java Script Hack?

Post by sirherrbatka »

It works for me. What web browser do you use?
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Yeah we have to show that thanks to the EUSSR with their idiotic ideas (surely you've come across more of those messages), it should go away when you press "That's fine!" though.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

pvdk wrote:Yeah we have to show that thanks to the EUSSR with their idiotic ideas (surely you've come across more of those messages), it should go away when you press "That's fine!" though.
Exactly, that pop-up is related to some EU telecommunication law - websites hosted in EU must ask before they write cookies on ones PC.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Thank god it won't be for long.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Interesting; thanks for enlightening me.
pvdk wrote:Surely you've come across more of those messages), it should go away when you press "That's fine!" though.
Nope, I've never seen it before. How long has it been on OpenMW.org? It just started showing up today.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I've seen it on one other site, too bad masses will avoid hosting their website in EU servers now, until that's gone.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Greendogo wrote:Interesting; thanks for enlightening me.
pvdk wrote:Surely you've come across more of those messages), it should go away when you press "That's fine!" though.
Nope, I've never seen it before. How long has it been on OpenMW.org? It just started showing up today.
it's on OpenMW since Monday night, you can encounter similar things on other websites hosted in EU too.